I remember when I was developing an e-commerce site using PrestaShop for the first time, I got into some confusion with the Newsletter modules. The problem was that I couldn’t find a way to mass email newsletters to all my customers from the back office!
I wonder why PrestaShop’s developers didn’t implement such an important and fundamental function. Well, at least for the version I’m using, version 1.3.7.
I believe the newer PrestaShop versions comes with a mass emailing module.
By default, a fresh installation of PrestaShop 1.3.x would include these newsletter modules:
- Newsletter v2.0, generates a .CSV file containing newsletter subscription details
- Newsletter block v1.4, a block in the frontend to allow for newsletter subscription
- Newsletter v1.0, statistics for newsletter registrations
However, there isn’t a module in the back office that can be used for email blasting of newsletters to customers. So I set off in search for such a module and enlightening me was, this Brazilian PrestaShop fellow.
So here’s how to install and use a module for conveniently mass emailing customers from the PrestaShop Back Office. For your information
Installing the Newsletter Module
- Download the Newsletter module v1.4 ZIP file by clicking the download link below.
- Login to your PrestaShop back office and click the Modules tab.
- Click Add a new module and browse for the file you just downloaded (newsletter_v1.4.zip).
- Click Upload this module and your module will be installed.
Setting up the Newsletter Tab in the Back Office
You’ll need a page in the back office to facilitate this mass emailing function.
- Unzip the newsletter_v1.4.zip file, open it and go into the folder admin > tabs.
- There, you’ll see a file – AdminNewsletter.php.
- Using your favorite FTP software, upload AdminNewsletter.php into your-admin-folder/tabs.
- Now log on to your back office and go to Tools > Tabs.
- Click Add new and you will be directed to a page where you’ll have to enter details for your new tab.
- Then enter these information accordingly:
- Name: Newsletter
- Class: AdminNewsletter
- Module: leave this empty (depending on your version, you might not have this input field)
- Icon: Select email icon (email.gif) in the newsletter_v1.4 folder.
- Parent: Modules
- Click Save and you’re done!
How to Use the Send Newsletter Module
- From the back office, go to Modules and click the Newsletter link beside the Positions link at the top left.
- Before sending out an email to a huge number of recipients, you should always send a test broadcast to yourself for error-checking purposes. Enter your Subject and Message and check Mailer Test.
- Under Email, enter the email address you want to send the test e-newsletter to and then click Send Mail.
- Once you’re ready to broadcast the email to your customers, choose from 3 options – to email all customers in the system, email only customers who signed up for the Newsletter, or email customers whose birthday is on a certain date, click Send Mail, and mass email accomplished!
So that’s all fellas – Have fun and good luck!