I first got my iPhone 4 back in September 2010 and after using it for a few days, I wondered – is there a way to download music straight into the iPod app without using a computer? That would be great, populating your iPod on-the-go.
At that point of time, maybe there wasn’t a way. Or maybe there was, but I didn’t know.
Lucky for me, a few weeks ago I found out exactly how to do so using the MewSeek app, thanks to my fiancee the Cydia fangirl.
So for those of you who don’t already know, here’s how to download music from your iPhone and then add them to the iPod, easily and effectively using MewSeek.
Apps You Need to Install
These are the apps you need to install from Cydia. The apps are from SiNfuL iPhone Repo so add this URL to your Cydia Sources – http://sinfuliphonerepo.com.
This is the magical app that allows you to search, download and add songs to iPod. One improvement that they should make though, is to implement a feature where you can add your own music search engine so you wouldn’t have to use Safari.
- Safari Download Manager (optional)
Safari Download Manager is an add-on for the Safari browser that will enable the downloading of files. Why would you need this app? So that when MewSeek fails to find the song you want, you can always search and download it using Safari. 4shared.com is my favorite music search engine.
- iFile (optional)
iFile is a very handy file manager for your iPhone. It’s included in this list because you might wanna see where your songs are after you download them and play around.
Just for your information, my iPhone is running iOS 4.1.
Now that you’ve got all the apps you need, let’s roll.
- First, let’s download a song from MewSeek. Launch the app and tap the Search button below.
- I feel good ol’ punk rock today, so I wanna listen to ‘basket case’. If you can’t find the song you’re looking for, change search engines by tapping on the search icon on the top left. As of now, there’s 5 search engines – Hype Machine, Song.ly, Dilandau.com, Google MP3 Search and MP3Raid.com. As stated above, MewSeek should consider adding a feature where you can add your own music search engine. Or just embed an internet browser in the app. Hah!
- Go to Transfers to see what’s being downloaded. Once the song download has been completed, go to Downloads.
- Here you’ll see the song you’ve just downloaded. Now select the song(s) you’d like to add to your iPod and tap the Add to iPod button on the top right.
- Done! Now open your iPod and enjoy the music.
Important Things Note
- MewSeek looks for MP3 files in the /var/mobile/Media/Downloads folder. So you can also download songs using Safari and later add those songs to your iPod via MewSeek. Just make sure you tap the red Download button and the audio file will automatically be saved into the /var/mobile/Media/Downloads folder.
- Sometimes, the songs won’t appear in your iPod after you add them from MewSeek. It happened to me quite a few times. For this, just restart or respring your iPhone and the song should appear.
Good luck and have fun!
Here’s what you have to do:
- Uninstall your current MewSeek app.
- Launch Cydia and search for ‘MewSeek‘.
- Hit the Search button; don’t select any of their suggested search terms.
- Now there would be a few MewSeek apps shown – Pick the one that says ‘from xSellize (X Apps)‘ (if you don’t have the xSellize source, go to Manage > Sources > Edit > Add > enter http://cydia.xsellize.com/ > Add Source).
- Now install it and you’re ready to rock and roll!